Pyotr Tchaikovsky's Iolanta is a lyric opera and was the last he composed. The libretto was written by the composer's brother Modest Tchaikovsky, and is based on the Danish play Kong Renés Datter (King René's Daughter) by Henrik Hertz, a romanticised account of the life of Yolande de Bar. In the original Danish play, the spelling of the princess's name was "Iolanthe", later adopted for the otherwise unrelated Gilbert and Sullivan operetta of that name.The opera received its premiere on 18 December 1892 in Saint Petersburg.
The blind Iolanta lives peacefully but her blindness is the source of deep pain for those close to her. Love ignites her heart’s desire to see the world and inspires her courage to undergo the pain that will enable her to see. Iolanta stands apart from Tchaikovsky’s other works because of its unusual "otherworldly" plot and its touching, elegant and graceful music.
The opera will be performed in Russian with English and French surtitles.
We regret that post-performance dinner is fully booked.
IOLANTA - TCHAIKOVSKY - Sun 25 Aug - 20h00
ONLY A LIMITED NUMBER OF PLACES LEFT WHICH CAN NOW ONLY BE BOOKED BY PHONE: 04 93 56 51 41 OR EMAIL: AZURIALES@GMAIL.COM
Il ne reste que quelques places qui ne peuvent être réservées par téléphone: 04 93 56 51 41 ou par email: email@example.com
- There will be a champagne bar before the perfomance and in the interval.
- Dinner with us at the Villa Ephrussi. Availability is very limted. To book, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dress: Elegant
- Surtitles in English & French
- Tickets are neither exchangeable nor refundable (other than as set out in 4 below) in any event including cancellation of the performance.
- The Association reserves the right to make any alterations in the performance, if necessary, due to illness or any cause beyond its control.
- Photography, video-taping and sound recording of any kind during the performance are prohibited.
- No refunds will be given. You may ask us to resell your tickets but we will only do this if we have already sold all the tickets for the performance. In such cases a 10% fee and any applicable credit card charges will be deducted from the proceeds of the sale.
- Note that if you are a member of our Company of Angels and wish to resell your tickets, you should contact us as special rules apply.